Saturday, January 2, 2010

Shepherd's Pie

This is one of those dishes that I love to make when its "officially fall". You know there is a definite chill in the air & you're cold all the time(maybe that's just me)? This will keep you warm, fill you up AND best of all it is GREAT as a lunch the next day!! Seriously, you can make a pan of this & keep it in your fridge all week for lunches. MMMMM! All things considered, it isn't too bad for you. You can substitute ground turkey for the beef and you can use the super low fat soups instead of the regular ones! Ta-da!! Oh yeah, its cheap too! My personal favorite!

Shepherd's Pie
Servings 8-ish

Ingredients
5 potatoes
1 pound(or so) lean ground beef(or turkey)
1 package whole or sliced mushrooms(or as many as you want!)
1 (15 ounce) bag frozen mixed vegetables
1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup
1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of celery soup
salt and pepper to taste

Directions
1.Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Coat a 9x13 baking dish with cooking spray.
2. This is where you can absolutely make the recipe yours. I take my potatoes, leave the skin on & chop them into quarters or smaller, toss them into a pot of water and boil them until they are tender. Then I drain them, add some milk or cream(which ever I have), butter(lots if I'm not being "good"), and mix them up with my hand mixer, adding salt & pepper to taste. So do what you like for your potatoes!
3. Slice your mushrooms & saute over medium heat in about 2 tablespoons of butter, set aside.
4. Brown your beef(or turkey), drain & then mix in both cans of soup, the bag of mixed veggies and the mushrooms.
5. Take that scrumptious mixture & put it on your 9x13 dish, spread it out all nice & even. Top your meat & veggies with your mashed potatoes & spread that out to cover your meat & veggies.
6. I personally love butter. Shocking, I know. Anyhow, I dot the top of my shepherd's pie with some butter and sprinkle with salt & pepper. Bake it in your preheated oven for 30 min. And then enjoy it because it is YUMMY!

No comments:

Post a Comment